Surface Design

Original:


Updated 1.0:

Updated 2.0 [Final] (re-hatched and circles moved over):

When doing research, I ended up taking photos of pretty much anything that I thought was cool or that I liked. Only a handful was really applicable to my design though, but many inspired the concept.






My design was based largely off of the last two references. I decided I wanted to go with koi fish in a pond and the flowers were roughly stemmed from the clothe with the blue background. The mural is the reason why I put a gold outline around the fish and through the flowers. I really enjoyed the fluid line art and wanted to replicate it. (This was done using offset after I made the whole body and flowers).


I ended up drawing out some sketches for my surface design to understand how I planned on placing my curves in terms of the fins specifically.

The outline for the fins were done as a combination of circles and arcs (using tangent) but I also used the interpolate points curve for parts that didn't need to be as nice. The split tail was created because I ended up making 2 versions of a single tail and combined them.

The scales were based on the seigaha design in my last reference and the fins were originally going to be some sort of version of the Karin-Onami, but I found they didn't fit well with the flowiness of the fins, so instead I did some loose free handed curves using the interpolate curves function. The scales I made by using the array function then rotating. Afterwards, I used the trim tool to get rid of anything outside of the body.

The ripples I decided I wanted to do something more complex. Originally, it was just too bland so I added some circles for spice but it still felt over-simplified. I went back in to add the patterns into the fins at this time also. Afterwards, I ended up having a circle and was planning on arraying an oval around it to get a circular wave shape but I entered ArrayPolar (while the big circle was selected) instead of ArrayCrv by mistake. This ended up well for me because I got a triple circle overlap (similar to a Celtic knot). I took the three circles and scaled up a second set around it, which gives the random water pattern. After I did this and filled in the hatches, I noticed that it looked a bit off center, so I redid it but ended up hatching the colors a bit differently and left it as such.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Algorithmic Surface Modelling + Animation

Parametric Structure & Animation

Algorithmic Surface Model for SLA Printing