Stacked Slices Model Progress


I decided to create my object entirely in rhino. (The crown's gem was added afterwards towards the end instead of in the definition). Initially, I sliced it horizontally, but I found that aesthetically, it looked better with the slices going vertically.

I was having issues getting the animation to work as intended until I realized that when I changed the extrude direction to unit y, I forgot to also change the contour direction to Y as it was initially set on Z and up until that point any modifications I did was using copy and pasted functions. It was only when I was getting my blog ready did I realize this.

(Might reupload a better gif)

I did a test trial where I used the grid we learned in class, but I found that when I baked the pieces it ended up with more slices than I started with. I ended up changing the square function to a rectangle grid to try to fix this issue. MY piece had 40 slices, so I figured that I needed a grid that was about 5 x 8. I found out that since the slices were mapped to the intersections, or nodes, of the grid I needed to work with 40 nodes which was made by a 7 x 4 grid. Since I had two slides and my object had taller slices, I was also able to adjust the width and height of the grid separately which saved a lot of room. I still have yet to nest the cross sections, although it would be easy enough to manually nest since there is a clear distinction of very small pieces and larger pieces.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Algorithmic Surface Modelling + Animation

Parametric Structure & Animation

Algorithmic Surface Model for SLA Printing