Algorithmic Surface Model for SLA Printing

Revised Design in bounding box:

Some feedback I got from the class was to consider the direction that my design is going towards. In particular, which way the "arrow" part of my design faced. I decided that I liked it with the box shape facing up.

One critique was to improve the support for the corners, specifically the way some intersections hang with little support. Because I'm using a lattice structure, Bryan mentioned that I could deal with delicate parts by increasing the thickness of the print or else I could use an underlying form as a support structure. Since we will be using clear resin, I plan to use this feedback to create a low relief design for final print using an underlying form.

Along with the feedback regarding structure, it was mentioned that the way I set up my piece made it so that new iterations would be fast without changing the surface design. This came with the idea to explore more forms.

Overall, I made 14 shapes using the revolve tool in rhino, but since 5 of them were polysurfaces, I had 9 surfaces to choose from. I scrapped the polysurfaces because trying to work around it would be a hassle regarding the surface morph function in grasshopper. I went for a vase shape because I wanted my print to have a practical use.








Below is the one I ended up enjoying the most, but depending on feedback next week I might go with a different model.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Algorithmic Surface Modelling + Animation

Parametric Structure & Animation