Stacked Slices Model Final

A few weeks ago, I did a test print where I didn't realize how small my pieces were. This was mainly as a way to show an initial proof of concept.

On both my finished piece and test model, the tree branches can rotate freely on a 3d printed axis. My revised version I scaled up and used the same model, so it was taller with more slices. For the finished piece, I ended up laser cutting my pieces before we covered the numbering and spines. For the circles acting as the spine, I just used the centroid and copied a circle to each piece. As for organizing the pieces, I knew that they were going to be sorted from largest to smallest, with repeat sizes creating a dip in the tree design.

Finished piece:



Bonus: Around the second week or so of this project, I decided to laser cut the slices of my original concept. Since it was before the class we learned about the spines I found that I struggled quite a bit with alignment. With the tree, I ended up just copying circles into the center so I wasn't fussing with the slice alignment anyways so I didn't think to create a hole through my model.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Algorithmic Surface Modelling + Animation

Parametric Structure & Animation

Algorithmic Surface Model for SLA Printing